honey I'm home

Still scorned from the purchase of a hot tub in lieu of a more practical house project (I should have known to include stipulations in the deal) I decided to move onto the next item on my list and in the Spring of '09 let Bryce come home from a business trip to a demolished downstairs bathroom.

This would end up being the largest project to date and will likely (fingers crossed) remain that way. That being said, there was so much work done here I have no idea where to start so I'm going to do one area at a time, the now laundry room and then the now bathroom. Here's the before and after layouts; you can see how these fit into the house using the sketches to the right.


I of course started in on the demo without taking any before photos so the only ones we have were taken right after we took possession of the house.

Looking into the vanity area of the bathroom from the dining room


Slightly to the right to show the doorway from the vanity into the laundry/toilet/shower area


The shelving above the washer/dryer


The smallest shower in the world. Seriously.


And this is what Bryce came home to- the former vanity (compare to the first photo above). This was actually really neat because it gave away a few changes that had occurred over time. The hole in the wall that had been covered by the mirrored medicine cabinet is where the original medicine cabinet had been and below that was old plumbing from a vanity. To the left was a hole in the floor for the original toilet. It was obvious this was a half bath before the previous owners added on to the back of the house to include a stall shower.


I got as far as I could by myself but had a few big items left. The room eventually ended up down to the studs as much of the drywall was damaged during demo or poorly installed in the first place and was redone.

No comments:

Post a Comment