I have a lot of jewelry....like a lot. I actually can't remember what I did with it before I put this all together but I imagine it was in a drawer or bin of some sort. Being one to enjoy a little organization, this set up would obviously not do, so I came up with an easy fix.
We have ample storage space in a floor to ceiling built in cabinet in our upstairs bathroom you can see here
I had a similar set up for storage in college and used push pins in the inside of the door to house my (much smaller at the time) jewelry collection. I took inventory of the jewelry I wanted to display and figured out the layout on the back of the door, taking into account any shelving so the door would still be able to close. I used wooden dowels, a scrap of chicken wire and Command's small wire hooks and ended up with this

Starting from the top: a bar for rings and pendants, wire mesh for earrings and brooches, two bars for beaded bracelets, four bars for bangles and nine hooks for necklaces of various lengths. The wooden bars lift off the hooks on each end for access to items in the middle. There are still a few things that don't fit and are in a drawer along with any nicer jewelry but it's so nice having everything easily accessible and relatively tangle free (not to mention it's a nice pop of color to look at every morning). I find myself wearing a lot of items I'd otherwise forget about now that everything is on display.
I tried to be careful about placement in relation to the shelving but once all the items were loaded on the door didn't quite close. I ignored the issue rather than putting anything back in a drawer but the other day I finally got around to fixing it.

It only took a little bit of pressure to get the drawer to close so Bryce installed a simple cabinet magnet and it works like a charm.

Now the door stays closed when not in use. Funny how you realize how much something actually bothered you once it's fixed. Thanks babe!

These are the hooks I used and the rest of the project was made of scrap materials I already had.

Total project cost, about $10.
No comments:
Post a Comment